[AW]  C O M P A S S

Merlin

4 y/o medium Male

There was an awakening across the expanse of the universe, as the early morning light licked at the edges of a slumbering world. Permafrost dispersed, dripping as the changing of seasons melted the reserved memories of winter. Toes stretched, expanding as paws gingerly caressed the earthen-grey banks of sand that straddled the shoreline. With each stride, shoulders rolled and virile breast fell - remnants of heat escaping the entrapment of sable drenched lips, to only be snuffed by the crisp stratosphere of the early morn’.

Vagabond lost adrift an ocean of sand; granules of earth stuck in cluttered clumps against his ankles and legs as he trotted the expanse of the shore. Pallid audits flicked and shifted forth to adorn his helm attentively, analyzing the sounds of mother sea lions keeping their guard and distance, and the tired lull of gulls in the infinite distance. He was not one to often wander from the tides, even despite the discomfort of his belly - a problem that could be easily fixed without the sustenance of large game. A singular ear twitched upon his visage, seafoam eyes squinting softly against the warming sunrise that sought to drive the coldness from the marrow of his bones. He shivered ever so, stretching out his muscles as his pace slowed, strides sojourning. He stood near the shoreline, locked in on the surface - in an instant a geyser of liquid exploded from the depths, bringing with it prey. Nautical lad lurched from his predatory stance, jaws unlatching and clicking closed around his aquatic target. 

Oil moistened swarthy lips, the taste of blood filling his jowls as he carried his prize away, clenched securely between his ivories. 

Juryoku

11 y/o large Male
Xenon, Female Wood stork

One would never take a rose from a beast. 
Never could he find the will to leave. A ghost drifting from underneath the despaired blanket of the beach just south from this area. It had been some time since the day he ventured out to sea to discover the water god, Atlahua. His soul still weeped, throwing rough pieces to fit a perfect frame. And with each piece that fell, he crumbled against that pressure more.

Xenon descended from the skies with the promise of food for the fellow. A hefty fish rested before him, but he dare not touch it. His stomach had warped; starved until it no longer roared for sustenance. It grew quiet. A weak mind and fragile form gone content with its state. He tossed the fish to a seagull that watched with hopeful eyes. His familiar couldn’t hold her irritation, nipping at the leviathan’s ear.

‘I bring that before you and you feed it to a lesser? It was to come with fair news I bring you.’

Juryoku rose, looking at Xenon with curious eyes. Though before she could tell anything to him, one of the kings here appeared fed up with him loafing around on their territory. His familiar hopped onto his back as the sea lion rushed him with a roar—the leviathan bellowing his own as he leaped away. Either way, it seems he had to get moving.

Not far yonder did he spot a stranger wolf. Once the mist of his breath had not obscured his vision, he sauntered indirectly toward the other. His ears flown forward when the waves thrown something to the stranger. As hurt as he was, never would he doubt the water god’s care toward Its children. He looked out to the sea as if expecting something for himself before continuing on at his normal pace.

Quiet, wondering. He drifted behind this stranger while whiskers twisted amongst themselves, intrigued by the deep, woody scent they took in. His strides grew wider with long legs closing in the distance between them quite quick. Juryoku made sure to veer off to the side so as to not approach this wolf from behind. “Nice catch,” he started, letting mist rise with a heavy breath, “Amazing how giving the sea is.” And unforgiving it can be. His head dipped slightly in a tilt, scanning over the stranger’s appearance.

A child of Atlahua. It brought him hope knowing more of the water affinity were around; that the world had not truly washed them away.

•• | ••

@Merlin

Merlin

4 y/o medium Male

Lily-white ears swiveled upon his helm, the resonance of vibrating lupine chords and sea lion rage a fading cry in the distance. Muscles twitched beneath the flesh of his shoulders, quivering through tucked and rolled breast as he turned his head to cast a glance behind him. The morning mist hissed across the expanse of the dampened shoreline; it seemed like transcendental magic, quiet in the early hours of the awakening world as the tides sang their tiresome lullaby. It was the rhythm of footfall upon the sands of the beach that caused his ears to flick backward, twisting upon his dome and sojourning his motion across the landscape. 

Another approached - a creature that emerged from the depths of the morningtide haze, adorned in the grandeur of the gifts of water. The stranger’s loping stride carried him closer and as the man embellished in shimmering scales akin to the pigment of the ocean would bridge the distance between them, Merlin shifted his hips so the newcomer would approach him at the point of his shoulder. “Nice catch” Seafoam eyes tilted to catch the fullness of his character and visage, and quietly marveled at the cool mist which wrapped around the man’s lips as he spoke. “Amazing how giving the sea is.”

He stifled the smile which sought to creep across his features - snuffing it in the face of the stranger that had arrived from the silence of seaside brume. Clenched ivories released their mechanical grip upon the salmon that had stopped writhing within his jowls. It dropped to the sandy shores with a quieted thud at his feet; pink tongue flicked from the depths of cavernous jaws to retrieve the oils and blood that painted his swarthy lips. He was a reposed man of solitude, who often avoided the general contact of others, but this one was different. Mottled tail flicked softly behind him, brushing the earthen granules that grounded him - he offered a tilt of his head, the bubbling brine of his deep eyes reaching to meet the newcomer’s gaze. “Amazing how unforgiving the sea is as well…” He replied, almost as if awaiting some response that would awaken a long-forgotten and stifled brotherhood of those bound by the blood of the water. 

@Juryoku

Juryoku

11 y/o large Male
Xenon, Female Wood stork

Nearly parallel to the other, the leviathan let his gait steadily slow. He’d soon match the rhythm at which the stranger walked. His ears were awaiting for a rise of words as this silence brought further weight onto his core. Juryoku caught himself from almost trotting off once he realized the stranger halted for a moment. They dropped a fish that rest one of his absolute favorites—however, not even it could entice and break the beast from his untimely fast. Xenon had her eye on it, but Juryoku would be sure to tell her off quick with a light growl.

Staring longingly at the fish, his crimson eyes knew when to take his gaze and align it to those that were sea foam in hue. Whiskers wrapped around each other more tightly as they couldn’t get enough of this soul’s scent. And as he heard their reply, the fellow would do naught to hide his slight look of surprise. What flowed into his ears was like honey to his mind. His eyes quick to look away from the other and to the sea enveloped by the lingering mist.

His heart warmed his soul which swelled greatly in his chest. The wavelength in which he and the stranger followed seemed to sync at certain highs and lows. Not the same but enough to create a melody. Juryoku had welcomed a small smile across his own lips. Despite what overshadowed him in which stole his slumber and appetite, his mind still peeked past the shadows with a small candle of light.

“Very much so. How hard it is to believe I nearly suffocated in its embrace,” he told. The feeling of betrayal. Well, was it not foolish of him to trust raging billows and a snarling sea? A man of the mountains, snow, lakes. A water drop from upon Atlahua’s shell, yet this large body of water before them had become one of his many demons, and that tore something deep inside of him.

Juryoku scanned what he could of the area to ensure there were no creeping oddities. He then returned his eyes to the stranger, studying their face more. “I hope I’m not stopping you on any trek. Feel free to go, if I am, but,” he held his tongue while he let his thoughts wonder for a second. Eyes fluttered as they closed; the leviathan taking a few steps away from the other wolf. And when he opened them, all he could see were dulled colors and blurred objects.

“Surely, you have great sense—take that as you may. What must you feel of the sea? Has it wronged or righted you, lad?”

Perhaps a peculiar question but nothing to begin running for the mountains for. His tail hugged one of his sides to constrict the growing presence of one he wished not to mingle with. He let his rump meet the sand, and his eyes were still bound to his new company.
•• | ••

@Merlin

Merlin

4 y/o medium Male

Intently, he observed how the wanderer’s crimson gaze lingered upon the cold and fresh corpse of his morning meal. Perhaps hunger and strife had warped his innards - a feeling he had met more then once within his short span of existence upon the planet. Then it appeared upon the man, a smile upon lips which told a tale of unspoken understanding that seemed to subtly sway beneath their engagement. “Very much so. How hard it is to believe I nearly suffocated in its embrace,” audits dithered upon his helm, the soft vibration of his vocal chords enough to entice his attention. Had he almost succumbed to the dangers of its depths? 

In a momentary pause that red-hot gaze would scan their perimeter, ever vigilant of their surroundings. His chest tightened as the man spoke, further distancing himself with but a few paces. It was if something within the archaic abyss of him called out to this wandering soul, beckoning for some kind of familiarity other than the coldness of the waves. 

“Surely, you have great sense—take that as you may. What must you feel of the sea? Has it wronged or righted you, lad?”

An inquisition that tugged at his heartstrings and drug him down to long untouched memories. The salted brine of his eyes churned as if a storm raged within - obsidian drenched lashes fluttered closed to encapsulate his sight and for a mere moment he sighed. Virile bodice fell with exhale and then those seafoam orbs would roll and tilt to scan the misted horizon of the ocean and sweep back to capture the weary features of the man who had inquired so genuinely. A cool wind crept across the surface of the ruffled tides that crashed softly against the shoreline, it ripped through his coarse haircoat to tickle his flesh as a reminder he was in fact, alive. Chords hummed within his throat, “The sea is my salvation and my demise. It has wronged me and saved me, made me what I am… perhaps who I am.” 

Shoulders flexed upon his frame, rolling forward as he seemed to shrug off the solemnity. Momentarily, svelte neck would dip, blackened lips to wrap round’ the salmon at his feet. He was ushered forth by an unknown force, slow strides carrying him closer to the man who looked at the sea with such dismay. At the feet of this new man, would he drop the salmon, pushing it forward with verdigris nose as an offering. “There can not be life without death. Light without dark.” His nose would twitch, the granules of sand which stuck to it, tickling his senses as he continued to observe the other’s face for a reaction, for a response.

"Speaking.

@Juryoku

Juryoku

11 y/o large Male
Xenon, Female Wood stork

A being struck against his mind. It howled, overjoyed by a bout of manic laughter. Juryoku only sat quietly, enduring the inner workings of his mind while they had a grand ol’ time in this moment of revelation for the whiskered fellow. Something pulled the corners of his lips into a frown; and the light within his eyes, oh, had they gone dark. What the man just meters from him uttered, the rust of his soul’s chain powered the bed of his belly.

The sweetness struck before the bitterness. Modest plumes shaped about his body as shallow breaths marched out from his lungs. Xenon outstretched her wings, brushing them across the beast’s chest and shoulders in an attempt to calm him. Dim eyes drifted and with heavy tear stains that ran the inner corners of them, a ghost would take him in as their own.

He could only think that is what is wrong. The deep blue had no part in his moulding. He wore that of one belonging to it, but even the blue algae close against his form knew this is not where they belonged. The last they had glowed in brilliance, the stars above could not say since that horrid day. “And it has made me what I am not. Mt. Naira has done what She could but I cannot help to say the sea can be a selfish one.” His whiskers fell limp in open defeat, but so had the beings crowding his mind.

They’ve gone quiet.

Astonishment shaped his mask when the gentleman brought over their prey to give to the leviathan. A look of disbelief just wouldn’t leave his face, Xenon having to lift him out of his frozen state with a whisper. He blinked away the confusion and stared down at this salmon. Juryoku breathed out with a shiver brought from his chest. As quick as he accepted it, he devoured it whole.

A mixture of relief and nausea filled his stomach. He suppressed the need to spew, and luckily within a few minutes, it would begin to subside. Bowing his head in gratitude, his ears perked at what was said next. First, there was a hint of a smile; then, it faded away with softening eyes. “However, more than the other can make a soul rot. When all one knows is Death and the darkness those say follow It, Life and light are to be feared not welcomed.” That one he speaks of is himself, but he will not admit that.

Collecting his thoughts, his trust in those were few and far between, but this young fellow—Juryoku found his greed in offering faith in others was beginning to lighten a bit. “What might you go by? My given name is Juryoku.” Licking his lips, he found the remnants of the salmon’s blood incited his hunger back; however, he wouldn’t go run off to fill his belly so quickly.
•• | ••

@Merlin

Merlin

4 y/o medium Male

There was emotion which shifted through the lens of those cardinal eyes - telling of inner turmoil he himself could not imagine. Soft breath parted cracked, weather-worn lips in exhale, and thew rippled through withers as haunces found dampened sand to claim as his throne. Ordinarily, the man would have left this stranger to his own accord and meandered about his own ordinary, uninspiring life. He found himself pulled and engaged with the scaled vagabond, drawn by some enigmatic bond he could not quite pinpoint. Yet he was here and he listened, lily-white ears pricked upon the sloping curvature of his helm, attentive as he took in the words which dripped from the newcomer’s own lips. 

After the oceanic stranger had satiated the writhing pain within his belly - accepting his gift of fresh salmon from the sea, Merlin would still continue to listen. The seafoam of his eyes seemed to brim at the edges, bubbling like there was something deep within their depths that screamed to resurface after so many moons left untouched. Softly he grunted, the thick rumble of baritone within his throat a dense thrum, “You are correct.” He agreed, ever so tilting chiseled chin downwards to tip his skull in a courteous nod. Pallid audits dithered in ecstatic elation as he delivered a final message and inquisition.  “What might you go by? My given name is Juryoku.” Once more he felt the subtle feather of a smile tickle the edges of his kissers, yet he stifled it once more, unaccustomed to outward emotion. “Juryoku.” Softly he repeated his name, the undertow of his vocal chords a hardy rumble within his breast, “My name is Merlin. It is nice to finally meet someone like…”-he paused momentarily, drifting off into thought- “Me.” Sable lips tightened ever so as his breath caught within his throat, unsure how the man would take his statement. It was too late to take it back now…

"Speaking.

@Juryoku

Juryoku

11 y/o large Male
Xenon, Female Wood stork

One ear withdrew back while the other pondered between whether to stand tall or retreat as well. A force in which gripped his soul had finally let go. It could breath, and that sweet air filling his chest resulted in a spectacle of steam. As if it found a new batch of coal, his core flamed on with the steady return of its vigor.

Juryoku put on a half smile, and his gaze worked the energy to burn a light behind the curtain of his pupils. “I didn’t need to be.” He wasn’t looking to be correct, quite the opposite actually. Though the beast had not considered his company’s youth. One could walk the entire world with little weight behind their age to support their wisdom. Juryoku is old—well, getting old. All his life he knew nothing more than the north. However, as he sits here content to have a soul next to him that complimented his own, the beast knew more than any other could. The same could be said for his fellow friend here and any other living being.

He saw something. As Merlin spoke his name, Juryoku brought his face close but left enough space to not have the other shuffle back in discomfort. Their tongue appeared to be caught on a word, and he examined the gentleman’s face in wonder. The refusal to express. The more Merlin hid it, the more the leviathan began to notice. Brows furrowed before immediately rising at what ended the sentence. It is nice to finally meet someone like me. He was speechless.

Reeling his muzzle away from the space of the young fellow, Juryoku seemed to have his line of sight stuck on Merlin. Silence engulfed their surroundings, the sea humming a melody far away in the distance. His mind tried to click pieces together, scrambling at each one that failed. Then, it found the solution. Once his thoughts were alight again, the beast’s maw parted. “Same to you, Merlin. It is a great pleasure. I thank you.”

Xenon had already began to read Juryoku’s thoughts and left off his withers to return to the sky. Watching his familiar go, he aligned his eyes back with Merlin’s, offering the lad one last rosy smile. “I must be on my way,” he started, looking to the sea once more. “If you ever seek my company, you can track me up north. I am the Frost Daemon, for that is what the olden souls there know me by,” he explained, rising onto his hind legs. He didn’t want to go separate ways so soon, but he could see it was that time.

“What lurks in those eyes of yours, I wouldn’t be afraid to speak it. Take care, lad.” And off he went, trotting off to catch up with his familiar’s distant shadow.

~Exit~
•• | ••

@Merlin

Merlin

4 y/o medium Male

The brief still betwixt the moment words had slipped from salted lips, to the reception of his utterance, a faint trepidation sought refuge in the marrow of his bones. His breath imprisoned within his throat, chest clenched in the quiet angst which wove threads of quivering panic through his rib-cage; he defied the semblance from touching his visage. It was the reflection of his own pallid mask in his eyes, like deep crimson lagoons of knowledge that churned his stomach with a cold disturbance. Forthwith, he became mindful of the years that laid barren between them and alert to how the man ushered closer, just teasing the barrier of personal space as arctic breath crept at the edges of his features. To how he observed, as if, analyzing - how they seemed to examine each other. 

Audits pricked at the crest of his helm, catching the tired lull of ocean tides that drowned the reticence upon the stratosphere. Internally he quaked beneath the maroon gravity of Juryoku’s line of sight - reminded of how naive and youthful he was in contrast to the frost beast. Sea foam eyes rolled to watch a ballet of feathered appendages as the wanderer’s familiar departed from his withers, and as the man rose Merlin’s gaze swept to capture that wise ruby gaze and linger upon the faint smile that warmed his lineament. A parting was offered and into the crisp morning mist would he lope away - the resonance of his goodbye a fading whim upon the atmosphere. Softly into the haze would the lad reply, Goodbye.

Strings tugged at his heart, ever so as the echo of deafened footfall upon the sands quieted to a distant memory of a sleepy hallucination. Vagabond of mottled earthen hues rose from his seat upon the shoreline, pausing but for a moment to study the distance, singular ear sliding forth upon his skull. After a brief pause, the hollow pit in his stomach reminded him of a breakfast that had been given away; he continued on at a trot down the beach, lost in thought, pulled by what seemed an archaic compass

“What lurks in those eyes of yours, I wouldn’t be afraid to speak it. Take care, lad.”

“Juryoku,” lips lifted just so, into a smile.

E X I T

"Speaking.

@Juryoku

Hosting by Kaons. Skin by Selkie. Banner by Nikkayla.