Beware of the Frosted Maw

Adaeus

14 y/o xlarge Male
At the beginning of the large tunnel he had called home for a while, something seemed off. It was normal with the sun shining upon its mouth and making the icicles glitter but now since the warmth of spring had come it would have melted all the winter away. Those same icicles seemed out of place in the new spring heat. Their glistening shine seeming to bring eyes of any who would notice the odd occurrence of the unmeltable winter appeal. He had usually pushed toward the back end of the tunnel by now but the cry he had felt held him captive at the front. The season change telling him that his chances at hiding from the heat would soon dwindle to none. His eyes, a light shade of mint, looked out upon the beach in silent vigil. Their cool glances watching the new sea lion pups begin to emerge from their birthing dens. Spring was the last bit of the outside world he would usually see till fall hit once more, till the cool winds brought the cold into his nostrils once more. 

Still the scream seemed to echo in his ears after hearing it almost a week ago. The reason he would not be taking his normal hibernation, his long sleep to try and endure the harsh summer heat. The scream was harsh and in pure pain, its high pitch melody reminding him of days of old. The days the gods called to them to stop their violence but they would not listen. It set his heart on fire just remembering it. He couldn't help but grasp at the sound like a lifeline, had the old god returned? Would he bring peace and happiness back to his wretched heart? Would he be able to be redeemed in the sight of his dear god or would he be turned away and called a traitor to his face? A boldness in him dared to say Atlahua would welcome him back with open arms but that self was pushed to the very depths of his being. He was no longer the King of man, the War machine he once called himself. He was a simple man of peace and as much as he wished it, love. 

Slowly the behemoth pulled his form from the ground of the cave and set out onto the beach. His form still framed on the stone by ice that had grown around him during his thoughts. Adaeus' body was now covered in a thin layer of the hardened water. Only at his joints did the ice seem to allow for movement and his chain resting but stuck to the ice along his fore limb. His face hidden beneath a helmet of ice, like looking through a warped mirror and only seeing a broken image of what lay beneath. His shoulders were held high but relaxed and his muzzle was lowered in an almost regal fashion. Adaeus towered high above the sea lions that made their nests here. Their fear of him apparent by the way they ushered around their new young and made cowing noises at him. He didn't even glance their way, his fear not of them but of the ocean that lay before him. His paws taking him straight up to the edge of it and leaving a trail of frozen sand behind him. "Where are you.." He whispered to the waves. He didn't know what to do or how to help the god he once cherished with all his heart.

Juryoku

11 y/o large Male
Xenon, Female Wood stork

One would never take a rose from a beast. 
His large, webbed claws gripped the beach below them. The sand sought to retreat from the pressure of each step, but a good bit of it found itself stuck to his paw pads. His tail barely hovered as it swayed along with his mind staring at its own reflection. It had been an hour or so since he had the pleasure of talking to Merlin. Their brief connection tempted back a small part of his hope as he continued to chase after it. However, it teased its mercy with a peck on his heart before running off into a light he never could reach. And like that, the leviathan’s determination fell flat unto the earth, and the wind took it by strands on a path to paradise.

The sounds of barks and roars made his eyes fluttered. His pace had quickened into a lope without him realizing it. Had he really grown this desperate to pursue a fleeting dream within the sneering presence of reality? His legs lessened the speed of his gait as he now dodged and weaved between panicked and confused mother sea lions and their pups. Already has a king threatened him away from its territory—he didn’t want another to come roaring at him. Juryoku noticed a cave farther up that gaped over this part of the beach. He rushed over to it to quit terrorizing this family of sea lions.

Heavy steam erupted from his nostrils now that he could gather himself. Standing near the opening of this cave, his deep red eyes widened at what they spotted. A few icicles, although losing their integrity, clung tight to where they glistened. The fellow tilted his head, and his whiskers wafted the air for any scents. One certainly lingered here with its prominence telling that a soul had been at this spot not too long ago. His muzzle rose to the sky, a sharp whistle shooting past his lips. Once a few seconds floated by, the beating of wings filled his ears. ‘Will I have to drag you home with a leash?’ Juryoku snorted at Xenon’s words as she perched onto his back.

“It seems the sea has weeped quite a bit.”

The beast’s curious whiskers would lead him to turn away from the cave and follow a trail they picked up on. His body did its best to keep himself small while he carefully walked past more sea lions. They appeared to have been put on high alert prior to him crossing their path. Defensive and watchful they were—Juryoku trying to carry this weight that began to pinch his back. His worries faded a bit once something cold met his paw. Letting his gaze reach the shore, he spotted a stranger. The scent he followed radiated from this individual.

His heart became overwhelmed; Atlahua’s favour hovered over this winged wolf as well. They stood at the shore... was it often that the sea threw the residents here a fish to feed on? Straightening himself so he no longer was low to the ground, the stranger was still larger than him. He moved from behind them and stood to where the other male could easily see him at the corner of their right eye. “I suppose you’re out of luck. The sea has bled out what all it can give.” His voice was still a bit rough, but bits of his honeyed cords seeped onto some words. Crimson eyes looked at the icy man, refusing to give the ocean anymore of his attention.

•• | ••

@Adaeus

Adaeus

14 y/o xlarge Male
He heard the roar of the sea beasts once again rise from distance but his eyes still scanned the surface of the ocean for any hints of what was to come. The idea of trying to reach out to his god with his heart wasn't an option since he hadn't done it in so long and that connection was broken long ago. No.. He would just have to wait till Atlahua was ready. The presence of another came from behind him the sound of the sands being moved and the scent of his own brethren reaching his nostrils. He was of his same kin and wondered if all of them had the same calling he had. He turned his head toward the stranger and took a step away from the ocean in order to face him properly. His head bowing to the new canine, a mannerism he'd never truly lost in his solitude. "If only it were my stomach which had drawn me out of my slumber..." He mused out to the stranger. 

"No.. Fortune favors me and I heard the cry of a weeping father. Did you hear him as well son of Atlahua?" His voice coming out in a commanding but gentle form. Almost like the sound of low beating drum being set in a slow and gentle pace. His body was standing in a proud stance but a relaxed one with his wings lowered and his shoulders back. He found no threat in this creature and only saw what was to be seen. They way he stepped from the blind spots and held his composure seemed like a brave wolf indeed. In his days many used to crawl around him and flee from his presence. Cowardice and shy males sinking from his gaze and trying to stay on the edges of his vision. "I swear I heard the great father roar out.. But yet.. My mind might have been playing tricks on me. It is old enough to lose its sense at times.." His tail twisted on the ground to lay next to him, the scythe shaped end resting slanted with the blade end in the sand. His rump slowly lowering to the ground and his wings relaxing back but giving him a magnificent throne like backdrop. The ice along his body and face seeming to harden but only from the feeling of surprise that he was speaking to another wolf after so long.  

Ooc: Blleergggh x..x

Juryoku

11 y/o large Male
Xenon, Female Wood stork

Once the winged wolf acknowledged his presence, a force hugged against Juryoku’s chest and ushered him to take a few steps back. The pages encased by the heavy bind of his memory opened to offer a sheet that had yet to be sketched upon. He noted every feature upon this stranger’s face, feeling the powerful presence of a soul birthed in a former time. Something in him whimpered as heartache collided against what stewed in the back of his mind. He wanted to leave it be, now wasn’t the time to fret. The mountains would allow him the time to dawdle. Surely, they would.

An ear flicked when hearing the question to come from the old man. “I am no son of It,” he proclaimed. Crimson eyes broke away from the other’s face, looking onto the beach while his heart pattered behind his chest. He certainly heard the cry. Was it fair to say he and the ones that accompanied him caused it? But the leviathan had malice hinted upon his breath that day, he wondered how much further he would have dove into hysteria if Xenon hadn’t stopped him. Juryoku didn’t utter anything else for a moment, and with each second he held his words captive, steam flooded the space around him. The being in which breathed down his neck brought its toothy grin close to his ear. He caved beneath the stress, shaking his head when the icy wolf questioned the reality of what they had heard.

“I heard the cry loud and clear. It was not a bout of delusion.” How he wished it was. Although the other wolf had took a seat, the whiskered fellow remained standing. His familiar nestled deep into the fur of his withers and had dozed off much to his dismay. Flexing his toes and digging his nails into the wet sand, he replayed the event in his mind to where it all went wrong. “We were there when It began to bleed, scream, feel the unrelenting touch of agony,” he said and stared blankly at the beach. Juryoku stood sure of it—the sea held a staggering amount of wrath for him. If it wanted to drown him before, it definitely wanted his soul deep down in the abyss where it damned demons and bastards.

The muscles in his legs twitched, almost trembling. His back was fully turned away from the shore, and his eyes had yet to return to the old man a meter from him. “Do you live here?” he asked, looking yonder at the cave opening he scanned earlier. The ice he saw upon the stranger’s form made him wonder what reason would they have to drift here, much more possibly reside here.
•• | ••

Adaeus

14 y/o xlarge Male
The words uttered from the wolves mouth caused a string of anger to sizzle beneath the surface. His body tensing but remaining quiet whiel studying the beast before him. Had the wolf noticed his appearance? Had the wolf not used his raw power of the ocean and tide? had this wolf declared war upon the very god that gave him breathe? Slowly he tried to push down the anger to not push the boundaries of pure intentions to find information but it was failing. He could feel the ice on his ribs grow colder and crack as the two largest pieces were pushed together like glaciers. Their edges forming peaks while they lengthened and began to harden like solid stone. While the wolf in front of himself let out steam, a cold icy path began to circle around himself. The trail leaving icy dew over everything within a two foot radius of Adaeus. 

The more the male spoke them more the rage began to burn in his gut. The more the ice began to cover the sands around him and now moving forward toward the other creature that knew of nothing but rot. We were there when It began to bleed, scream, feel the unrelenting touch of agony The whispers of his voice left Adaeus holding on to the very strengths of his own bonds. He'd trained for years to keep his emotions at bay but in mere moments of interaction another had already taken all those years away. Did it not tug at the heart strings of his canine that his god was in pain? Did he not know who his father is? Surely if he had he would have not spoken in such a disgraceful way. Adaeus stood up very slowly all of his muscles trained to strain against the ice that was now trying to enfold his entire body. His eyes turning into that of slits barely able to see the color they held. His body then took three bold and long steps toward the creature who denied their god and themselves the love of a family. "You do not know of whom you speak. For if you did you would be ashamed." His voice was now a booming cord of respect. His tail raising behind him in the old fashion of dominance. His head held high and his stare descending upon the wolf in question. 

Slowly his wings pulled back as if to send him into the air bu he only stood there in high authority. "Whether you like it or not, Atlahua is your god. He created your body and he put breathe into you. He put life into your limbs and power behind your words." The ice that encased him now seemed to cause the air around both of them to grow colder, as if to put the steam escaping the male's body to shame at the words he'd uttered in childish rebellion. "The fact that you were there when it happened means you are blessed.. Even if you choose to believe otherwise... Stand up son of Atlahua and retain the glory of your birth. Reclaim the right to your god's love and take pride in who you are and where you come from." He felt himself take another step toward the wolf, not threatening but definitely uncomfortably close. He ignored the simple question of his homage here and continued in a more gentle tone. The phrase starting with a loving sigh, "Son of Atlahua.. I know that lose of a father is hard upon the soul of his chosen but we must remain strong.. We must hold onto the truth and spread the joy we once had.. Before the nonsense of this world took place." He took a step back and put on a loving expression one he hadn't shown in over five years. His wings came down and rested at his sides once more his tail relaxing and coming to a slow halt on the iced over sand. "The war itself sent the truth to me and it is why i have stayed underground here for so long."

Juryoku

11 y/o large Male
Xenon, Female Wood stork

Silence seemed to welcome itself within their space. He shifted his attention to the family of sea lions, watching them become more relaxed with their surroundings. His whiskers twitched but soon did they start to shiver. A chilliness circled beneath him. While the leviathan enjoyed the company of the cold, this had an off sensation to it. Claws gripped the sand tighter and his ears slowly swiveled back toward where the other wolf was; however, instead of hearing nothing, the sound of heavy movement invaded his ears. By the time he glanced over and managed to turn his head, the old man was right at his side.

His tongue slithered out, and his incisors grazed the muscular organ as Juryoku licked his nose. Ears flattened at the volume of the stranger’s voice, but the words they captured from them made a being within him hiss. “I know very well whom I speak of. The same divinity that sentenced me to perish upon the bitter peaks when I couldn’t even open my eyes,” he spat. Finally, he pivoted his body to face the elder. Although his eyes blazed from the fire ignited in his core, his head hung low with whiskers dancing at the sides of his face. A certain power appeared to fight against the steam leaking from his nostrils. As he listened to the winged male go on, his maw widened and as his chest rumbled, thick smoke surged out of his throat. It rapidly blanketed everything within a 10ft radius. What floated within this cloud were tiny ice shards ready to bring frostbite onto a victim.

Xenon had since awakened from her light nap. However, she remained still, quiet—uncertain how to handle this situation. Juryoku nearly reared her off as he leapt back shaking his head at this other wolf. They were trying to convince him it was a blessing. A blessing in which drug his soul through tar, lit it aflame, and then stomped it out with a nice helping of muck poured over it for good measure. It swelled inside of him, pushing against his organs. The leviathan spewed up the fish he ate not long ago, letting strings of saliva stick to his chin. “Never will I let that damned turtle ever have my favor. I trusted It, I wanted to believe in it. I wanted to!” More bile made its way up and poured down his maw. Glassy eyes blurred his vision for the next few seconds. As soon as the stranger shifted their tone to not be as abrasive, the sound of a large crack deafened his ears.

His grandfather’s figure faded in and out from where the winged wolf stood. Bitterness crumbled into the quaking form of remorse. Juryoku cowered, taking a few more steps back before stumbling right onto his bottom. Xenon hopped off and brought herself right beside the whiskered wolf to console him. He sat sloppily upon the sand, and his crimson eyes stared at his trembling forelegs. What the stranger said overlapped with the words of his grandfather that echoed throughout his mind. He wasn’t sure which to listen to, but it appeared it hadn’t matter. They were back—screaming in laughter. He gasped, trying his best to catch his breath.

“The shame, the disgrace. I’ve had enough. Never did I belong. The sea carries a sickness—it sickens me.”

Words broke past clenched teeth. The cloud in which surrounded them began to ever so slowly float towards the skies. Steam from his breath no longer sought to sustain the smoke cloud as his core overheated itself. The world danced around him, sounds were muffled yet loud. Xenon nibbled his fur, and her emerald gaze watched in powerlessness. What else could he say, what justification could he put forth? This had to be a losing battle. The algae upon him shone bright as they braced against his heated form. He shook his head as his chest rose and fell. “And what truth is that?” Peering up at the older wolf, he bumped his head against Xenon’s body to reassure her of his current state.
•• | ••

Adaeus

14 y/o xlarge Male
His heart opened to this stranger. The feeling of unwanted and shame were shared among many of their family. It was a feeling he'd come to know well since the war ended. Even his companions in the war stared at him with disbelief and tragedy in their gazes. Even letting those feelings sink into his skin the outer appearance remained the same. His body tall and broad in comparison to the male in front of him. When the male took steps away, Adaeus took steps forward to counter his retreat. His body never swaying in the other's eyes but deliberately walking into the fumes that spewed out the mouth. His legs becoming one with the smog that now layered the ground over the ice that was forming around the both of them. Adaeus had no control over the ice at this point but he was trying to calm his emotions. He didn't wish to appear threatening but he was raised in the ways of a king. He would not back down from this argument. When the wolf finally asked him the question his wings flicked as if to shoo away a pest but really he was adjusting his mind. He would need to start slow with the truth. It was a lot to grasp in one sitting.

"You are not ready to hear the truth." He boomed. His voice was loud and hard, carrying with it all the emotion he was trying to hold inside. "You say you know your god but you devalue him in the eyes of his people. You say he left you up on the mountain to die but yet you are here sitting in front of me." He paused and lowered his head to look dead in the face of the male, his eyes like sharp ice ready to pierce the very soul in his chest. "If you knew your god you would know he doesn't fail. If he wanted you to die upon a mountain you would not be here." His voice cracked a bit at the power he tried to hold back from his tone. He wanted to meet the wolf on his level but in spirit. He wanted to open the eyes of the non-believer and tear the veil from his eyes. "I don't know your story but I bet I can show you the kindness and care he put in you life.. Even as an infant." He couldn't help but lick his lips as he spoke this. His eyes searching the brute's face and and then pulling back to continue. "The reason you stopped believing in your god is all your own.. But let me say this.." He paused and let his paws crack on the ice covered sand his claws digging in for effect. "Where did this.. Sickness start? Was it when you were following what your god commanded of you? Or was it when the ilk of the world stepped into your life? Was it the wolves around you that brought their beliefs and sorrows to you?" He nibbled on the truth, the little bits of reasoning he had left for why the gods left. 

"Either way.. I'll let you think on that one. I'll let you look into the depths of your life and look for the things your god gave you that you squandered away. Just like I had. When my god gave me great strength, I used it against my own people. When my god gave me great courage, I used it to fuel the hatred of my own kin. And when all was said and done.. I lost all that he had gave me." His eyes lifted from his form. Their gaze turning to the skies for a moment as the ice around him seemed to crack and break, its power and strength from his emotions waning with the revelation. He sighed and took a seat, his rump sliding just a bit on the ice below him, and his wings clicking against the ice over his shoulders and back. "It is not the sea.. Or Atlahua that causes the sickness you speak of.. It is us.. All of us." his face looked so defeated but still hopeful all in the same.

Juryoku

11 y/o large Male
Xenon, Female Wood stork

His face buried deeper into the feathers of his familiar, refusing to look the old man in the eye. Emotions violated every part of him as the glass bottle they piled in found cracks crawling their way up to its neck. A snarl crept out with his breath. The leviathan has been ready to hear the truth for a long while. He sought its power everyday to crush his very being and to resurrect it into something far greater. For every tomorrow that applauded against his existence, his innermost self squabbled and bashed its sanity with a spiked boot; bloody upon the floor littered in shadowed fiends circling around like eager sharks. They puffed out toxic smog hoping to suffocate his core. It coughed, sputtered, but it wouldn’t succumb to what it has worked against time and again.

Xenon rubbed her face into the leviathan’s fluffy neck, pushing out a sigh that had doubt hindering its pressure. Juryoku’s eyes went alit when the older wolf tried to spin the sorrow of his beginnings into any faith that this god had a hand in him being here today. The algae upon him strobed down his body in the absolute disbelief in which pressed into his back. He glowered at the icy wolf and bared his teeth. “Don’t you fucking discredit my grandfather. Atlahua had nothing to do with him nor Salai bringing forth their compassion onto me. They are why I am still here, not no bloody god,” he fumed. If he were to say any god lay responsible for his rescue, that acknowledgement would be toward Maui. The fire fox pumped the blue fire that often brought a hearty glow from his grandfather’s nose. But even then, the old fire wolf would dismiss the notion that any divinity had anything to do with their fate. That’s what he has been trying to tell the leviathan, and by the heavens, he began to see what his grandfather aimed to show him.

His tongue pressed against the roof of his mouth when the winged elder asked him what released this doubt, this ballooning disbelief. Memories climbed the massive shelves of books that recorded many parts of his life. His tail curled by his hip while he dusted recollections and swatted away the lingering frustration. A heavy sigh left him—his eyes closing to enjoy darkness behind their lids. “Trust should never lead to a gummy remnants of hope lain out in a grave with your name on the stone,” he breathed, letting his head gently tilt to one side. “Beat me with the chain that drug me that day. My mind captured, stirred by the ever running faucet of distrust.” Those words had no particular direction. Perhaps they only searched to hit the thoughts of all that would hear it, or to just make sense of what jumbled up remark his soul slathered onto his train of thought.

“Poison to the mind,” he parroted those words he often heard from his grandfather. They didn’t have the usual bitterness soaked into them, rather the words tasted sweeter than any honeydew to drop from paradise. He left that fire elder with his deepest regrets from giving in, from sipping a chalice of poison. With it wearing on his mind, the bribery it was laced in had shown itself at the bottom of the cup. At last fluttering his eyes away from the space of his thoughts, he looked this old man in the eyes. “You’re right. It is us—us that continue to speak foolishness and rot against worn beliefs.” He straightened himself and rubbed his face onto one of his forelegs. A snake hissed in the back of his mind, reminding him not to get too comfortable with himself. Narrowed eyes stuck to the icy elder, a lighter breath of only mist escaped his nostrils.

“Atlahua always has my respect despite birthing my soul onto this tainted world. However, I will not be a servant to It. Suckle on Its flippers all you want.”
•• | ••

Adaeus

14 y/o xlarge Male
A growl rose up in the king. His mantle rising from the ground and his body becoming a threatening disposition of ice and strength. He was not one to bow down to anyone not even a passerby that knew not of what he spoke. "Who do you think you are to devalue the words of a king. To throw dirt in the face of a master wishing to help his student." he roared over the loudness of the sea lions and the rolling tide. He didn't know how to approach this topic with the male and honestly the rage in his belly was telling him not to. All of his social teaching and training lesson told him to walk away from the conversation and leave while his wits were still about him but the line that stopped him was the last one. Suckle on Its flippers all you want. The eyes of the king were like ice and his body moved in on its own. His nose was almost touching that of the males and his eyes glared into his face. Ice started to take the ground around both of them and the ice on his body broken and shoved outwards like a glacier surface. 

"You didn't answer my question and instead threw it in my face." His voice seemed calm to most but the underlying tone of anger was present. "No.. It is not the ones who choose to follow faith that is the sickness young one. It is those that choose darkness and continue to take steps toward the master of shadows. The one that grasps the heart's desires and pulls you in until it holds your own heart captive from you. It is the one where in a rough choice you choose the wrong one knowing its wrong. It is the voice that hides in all of us to gain more and give less. It takes away your freedom and makes you feel powerless without it." He pulled his head back and snarled the last phrase. His body still stiff with anger that boiled beneath the surface. "If desire is your mistress then you yourself are the sickness you so despise." 

His body was feeling rather out of control and he felt the ice beginning to take over his own flesh and harden it from the outside. With that last statement of faith the male turned his head and body and up the beach. He was headed for the area with black rocks and bony stones, not being able to control his own emotions around others was not a good idea. He took one last look over his shoulder to see the scolded wolf but continued on his way. 

-Exit unless stopped-

Juryoku

11 y/o large Male
Xenon, Female Wood stork

Bafflement pushed against the puffiness around his eyes as his brows furrowed. A king? What was that suppose to mean to him? The leviathan knew he sat here a fool—never did he deny that fact behind the sloppy mask he tried to straighten upon his face. But to go around speaking on unfounded authority, the winged bloke wore a sheet on their head thinking it was a crown. The leviathan teased a flame near the cloth in a want to watch their mind suffocate from the smoke and melt from the heat in which seethed from him. Juryoku shook his head, and his ears found the courage to stand tall. “You are no king. How mindless of you to think that a crown of thorns is made of gilded gold,” he hissed, “and no master ever spits in the face of a doubting student.”

It appears he has pressed a rather sensitive button. Before the whiskered fellow took the chance to get back onto his legs, he stumbled back down when the elder rushed into his space. The confusion upon his face only grew while he listened to the old man rant. He glanced over at Xenon, who simply stood to the side—ready to be done with everything and to finally head home. His core rumbled, producing a more sooty smoke than the usual pure white plumes it often conjured. Allowing the other male to finish and back off, Juryoku collected himself as he lifted his rump off the sand. “The answer was as clear as a freshly made dewdrop, sir. If you so choose to ignore it, I will not bicker with you any further,” he stated, shaking off the lingering nervous energy he had. It stood fair to say this became futile with two fools swearing at their own reflections.

“There never was a mistress, but a gentleman dressed so dapper he could say the vilest thing in the sweetest tone.” That gentleman would be Death—ever watching him, reminding him of what scripture had been etched in his throat. Looking off into the distance, he noticed the icy elder had apparently reached their limit. They left him there; there to witness the aftermath of his emotions in which flopped around like fish out of water. Where had they come from? What abyss had let them fester for so long? He watched the stranger move farther and farther away, noting the moment they peered over their shoulder at him.

“How hard is it to understand that only rupturing darkness can lead one to the most brilliant light.”

Xenon pinched the scaled wolf’s shoulder, prompting him to hurry along now. She didn’t take to the sky, however, but remained walking right beside him. He nudged her to hush away her worries, to lighten the dominating presence of madness.

~Exit~
•• | ••

Hosting by Kaons. Skin by Selkie. Banner by Nikkayla.