[AW]  Memories of Autumn

Ignis

of

1 y/o small Male
Pele, Female Vulturine Parrot
© Lyca

It felt like a thick fog had settled over Ignis’ mind as his ears barely registered the sound of his sluggish footfalls and the smell of prey in his maw: an unlucky squirrel that the boy had managed to catch all on his own. His eyelids drooped heavily over his glowing, orange optics though the color was more akin to a dull red now. Perhaps the young boy was tired… or exhausted. He could feel the familiar weight of Pele nestled into her spot on his back. He could feel the squirrel’s tender flesh sizzling under the heat of his jaws, the distinct smell of burning meat filling his nostrils. He paused, blinking slowly up at the trees around him, their eternal fiery colored leaves catching his eyes.

“I wanna bring these back to my den. Can I?” a voice, that sounded like his, yet smaller even younger, echoed in his head as memories seemed to overwhelm him. He remembered himself, a smaller pup than he was now, playing among the leaves that had fallen upon the ground.

“No child. You’ll burn through them anyway.”

“Yeah! You burn everything you touch!” Apollo teased.

“Stupid Iggy!” Hestia sneered. 

“Ignis. Ignis.”

Pele’s voice brought him out of the haze of memories. Memories of the brief time they had passed through this forest. It felt like he was waking from a dream. He turned his head, rather sluggishly towards his familiar.

“Wh-What?” he stammered, words muffled around his catch.

“Eat before your teeth turn that squirrel to char,” Pele chided, black eyes shiny with worry as she shuffled her talons. 

“Mm,” he mumbled, placing the squirrel next to a nearby tree before settling down himself. He began tearing into the animal’s soft flesh, its blood rejuvenating him slightly. Ignis ate with an absentmindedness as if his thoughts were elsewhere. He hadn’t gotten any decent sleep since that nightmare. That nightmare… Was it a nightmare? That night he had come upon a reaper, a reaper with the heart of a wolf in his jaws… He had hoped it had been a nightmare. It had to have been...
"Ignis speaking,"

Table by Centience. Art @ Lunicea

Anastasia

Advisor of Dei Gratia

9 y/o medium Female
© Centience
Anastasia Orelia

Broad paws kissed the earth, delicately despite her stockier framework, the woman was made of sand and earth, her body well wrapped in rolling curves. She was not what you would call slender by any means, with shorter limbs and a large body, heavy set at around a hundred and thirty pounds of muscle and fat giving her a softer appearance. She wasn't exactly overweight, but she wasn't as toned as she could be either, a comfortable in between one would suppose. The large shawl which covered enarly her entire backside draping loosely over her shoulders and neck, the fabric hung comfortably. A large hood draped over her head, big enough to almost fit someone twice her size comfortably. It covered her eyes mostly, keeping the details of her face hidden in a dark drape of shadows and fabric, her soft pink eyes scanning the terrain of the redwood. It was the scent of blood that had drawn the woman out, hoping there might be some wounded animal she could get an easy meal off of. 

She padded gently through the forest, following the trail, but was a bit disappointed to find the animal she'd been tracking was already claimed by another, likely his kill anyhow. She would observe him for a moment, noting his youth, stepping through the trees a soft smile touching her maw. "Hello there, I hope i'm not intruding" she would offer gently. Another fire user, she saw how the heat from his very body seared his meal, soft pink pools flickered to his familiar, "And hello to you too noble spirit guide" she added with a dip of her head, keeping a respectful distance between herself and the dark male. "Is your family nearby?" he was a bit young to be wandering on his own, but who knew what his circumstances were. 

"speaking,"

Table by Centience. Art by starry--knight @ DA

Ignis

of

1 y/o small Male
© Lyca
As the young boy slowly began to eat his catch he felt Pele’s talons tighten ever so gently on his back, her long beak pulling at the fur on his shoulder. Ignis seemed slow to react. Perhaps after he ate he could try to sleep. Maybe he would be too exhausted to be plagued by nightmares this time, he thought vainly as he mindlessly stared at the way the steam from his maw disappeared into the air above, looking darker than normal. He wondered how many days he’d gone without sleep, how many nights he’d woken up from a fitful slumber. The boy looked down at his paws, did the glow look dimmer today? He couldn’t tell... His vision seemed to blur for a brief moment as the pull of sleep seemed to drag down on his body mercilessly, that is until a voice, seemingly from nowhere spoke.

Ignis’ eyes snapped open as his head whipped up to look at the stranger: a wolf who wore a hood over their face. Effectively hiding it from view. The fur along the boy’s back raised as his ears pinned back. Who was she? What did she want? His gaze looked guarded, anxious. He warily watched as the sandy-furred stranger came closer, sensing that she was of a similar affinity. It did not make him feel any safer. Yet her voice was gentle, soft. It didn’t send chills down his spine as… as Zenderlin’s had. Even thinking of the reaper’s name sent a small shudder through his body, which probably wasn’t as well hidden as he would’ve liked it to be. All Pele did was acknowledge the woman with a stiff nod as she greeted her, shifting in place once more, her eyes looking cold and hard.

Ignis blinked at the mention of family, his eyes seeming to go round for a moment in surprise as his ears pricked forwards. “M-My... family?” he echoed. His expression fell slightly as he thought of his mother, his siblings, his father…. He didn’t look the stranger in the eyes. “I… I-I d-don’t… don’t have any.” It was a lie, but Ignis had not seen his father in months and he wasn’t about to go around telling others of his past misfortune. He could’ve been dead for all he knew.
"Ignis speaking,"

Anastasia

Advisor of Dei Gratia

9 y/o medium Female
© Centience
Anastasia Orelia

She could feel his tension, how it rolled off of him in thick waves of distaste and uncertainty. Eyes of soft pink remained upon him, studying dark features against the backdrop of the forest. The man was of little regard as far as appearance went, not unlike her in that sense, they both bore pelts plain in nature, her sandy hues spoke of nothing but perhaps desert sands, and he was that of the night, touches of fog upon his body. Anastasia only smiled, a sweet one as the boys face changed, from a fit of fear to surprise, his dark ears flickering forward, and his orange eyes changed in their demeanor. “M-My... family?” there was...so much uncertainty on his tongue, and she felt as if she should have already known his fate. Ana nodded, trying to be encouraging even as the boy refused to look at her,  

“I… I-I d-don’t… don’t have any.”  nonsense, everyone had a family. Even if they were...gone. Were they really? Her ears fell back slightly - memories of her own kin filtering into her thoughts for a moment. 

The woman would sigh softly, tilting her head back to allow the hood to gently fall from the top of her crown, nesting back upon the base of her neck and shoulders. Revealing her soft face, ears littered with gold hoops and piercings, and on through her left nostril to match. "Even if you cannot see them, they have not left you" it applied no matter the case, whether sleeping in the earth, or lost somewhere in this big world. "I'm sorry," she sat down, "I'm Anastasia, or Ana if you like. What can I call you?" came the gentle inquire, head tilting slightly. 

"speaking,"

Ignis

of

1 y/o small Male
© Lyca
Ignis turned to look at the woman again at the sound of a sigh. His ears seemed to fold back again, suddenly worried what she would say in response to his answer. He watched quietly as she tilted her head back, revealing a soft face adorned with golden jewelry. Something about finally being able to see the stranger’s face clearly seemed to put the boy at ease, if just a little. Her words didn’t seem to put him to make him feel any better, imagining his siblings who had died so unfairly by his own powers, still stalking him around from the afterlife.

It wasn’t a comforting thought, knowing that they probably still despised him even in death. He tried to think of his mother, but he couldn’t recall a single memory of her having never set eyes on her. Ignis found himself feeling a claw of guilt in his heart at feeling some relief knowing that he’d never know the true answer if his siblings were still with him, if his mother was. Perhaps she was angry with him too, for killing her children, his littermates. As if hearing his thoughts Pele seemed to nestle closer to Ignis’s body, beginning to preen his fur like she always did when he was distressed. It seemed to pull him out of whatever spiral his thoughts were going down. He almost missed the stranger’s apology and her introduction. Anastasia… a pretty name to match the pretty woman’s soft features.

“A-Ah… I-It’s okay. My f-family… they…,” he trailed off, hesitating. “I-I… don’t have… a-a good relationship with them. My… my name is Ignis. Y-You can call me… I-Iggy. If y-you want,” he mumbled, annoyingly stumbling through his words. He hated his stutter, he hated the awkward pauses in his speech. His family had made him hate it so. His eyes could barely meet the woman's, deciding that the squirrel below him was safer to look at than her face. He wasn’t sure what it was… this woman certainly wasn’t there to hurt him or intimidate him so why did he feel uneasy? He had no reason to be anxious, especially with how kind this stranger seemed to be.

Pele’s black eyes narrowed at Anastasia, obvious still somewhat on edge, but less so after hearing the woman's words. “My name is Pele. You’re the first…” she paused, tilting her head in thought. She couldn’t be completely sure she was friendly, so she changed her wording. “The first non-threatening face we’ve come across in a while. We have had unfavorable company as of late and that is putting it mildly,” she grumbled, her voice laced with irritation, yet underlying it was concern for her friend.

"Ignis speaking,"

Anastasia

Advisor of Dei Gratia

9 y/o medium Female
© Centience
Anastasia Orelia

She smiled at him, seeing how he relaxed as she revealed her face to him, yes her hood could create quite a lot of mystery, even though she didn't intend to frighten the boy or make him nervous. She smiled, allowing herself to let her gaze drift to the beautiful red forest around them, she'd become fond of this place over her time spent here. And she didn't just want to stare at him the whole time, no that wouldn't help with his nerved.“A-Ah… I-It’s okay. My f-family… they…” ears pulled back slightly her eyes of pink falling down upon him...oh no, where was this going? Her stomach tightened into a knot a little bit at the way his words trailed.“I-I… don’t have… a-a good relationship with them. My… my name is Ignis. Y-You can call me… I-Iggy. If y-you want,”  she sighed, her heart aching for the boy. Ignis. Iggy, that was what he had said. "I'm sorry Ignis..." she mused softly. She sighed, unsure what to say to him now, but his familiar was there to break the silence, and her eyes rose slowly to find the ebon bird. 

“My name is Pele. You’re the first…”  she nodded to him, a single sandy audit pulling back as he too drifted with his words. What had the pair been through she wondered. “The first non-threatening face we’ve come across in a while. We have had unfavorable company as of late and that is putting it mildly,”  "..really?" she couldn't hide the shock from her tone, eyes growing a bit wide. She couldn't imagine, being alone here in Nidria was hard enough, let alone to run across those who...weren't so kind. She knew of the Mundane of course, and wondered if it had been wolves of that nature the pair had a run in with.

"I'm sorry to hear that..." her eyes drifted back to Ignis, "Excuse me for being so bold, but if you....if you need some good company to keep i'd be happy to travel with you" she offered, she didn't expect him to take her up on it considering they'd only just met. "You're a fox affinity too...I could help you with your magick if you'd like" She definitely had the experience on him. But still it was a shot in the dark. 

"speaking,"

Ignis

of

1 y/o small Male
© Lyca
Ignis blinked at her, his wide eyes making him look child-like for once. He hadn’t been expecting an apology. Usually it was the opposite. He wasn’t sure how he felt about it. “I-It’s alright…,” he mumbled. He was even more bewildered by her shock at the revelation that his and Pele’s experiences were not positive ones. Perhaps it wasn’t a common occurrence for someone to have unfortunate encounters with strangers. He was just unlucky then? He wanted to laugh at the thought, but all he could feel was a hollowness inside. He wondered if some cryptic curse was following him, bringing him misfortune. 

As the woman gazed up at the trees Ignis seemed to do the same, suddenly glad not to have eyes on him. Even if they were kind ones. Another apology slipped out of the woman’s maw. It’s nothing new, he wanted to say aloud, but he held his tongue as the woman continued to speak, offering her company. He turned to stare at her, looking bewildered once more. “T-T… Travel with m-me?” he echoed.

A tiny part of him seemed to sigh in relief at the idea and it showed on his countenance. “Um…” He couldn’t look at Anastasia again, as if embarrassed, deciding that the half charred squirrel between his paws was suddenly more interesting. “Y-Y… You w-would? Th-Th...” He shut his mouth for a moment, ashamed at how quickly his speech deteriorated when he was flustered. “Th… That would be n-nice,” he finally managed to get out. 

As if the stranger hadn’t already been kind enough she offered to teach him to use his powers. Ignis looked up at Anastasia, there was a complicated emotion in his eyes. Fear? Shame? “I… I d-don’t like using my p-powers,” he confessed quietly, there was something else in his words that was unspoken. He feared his powers.

"Ignis speaking,"

Anastasia

Advisor of Dei Gratia

9 y/o medium Female
© Centience
Anastasia Orelia

He looked at her like a pup that was much younger than himself, awestruck, perhaps by her acts of kindness? She wasn't sure, but if this was the case it would pain her to think of how much unfortune the boy must of gone through in order to feel such shock at the simplest of gestures. Sandy audit would flicker back slightly “I-It’s alright…,”  she nodded, trying to offer him some kind of encouragement and reassurance - perhaps she could offer more in time. She could show him that her intentions were pure, that she would not harm him or do him wrong. 

“T-T… Travel with m-me?” he mimicked her words, to which Anastasia would allow her eyes to shift back down to the boys dark features. She smiled softly, "Yes; only if you'd like me to," she countered, not wanting Ignis to feel pressured into anything, taking on a stranger as a more permanent companion was a big decision. “Um…” she would allow him his time to mull it over, her soft eyes drifting from his again not wanting to put the physical pressure of a stare upon him, “Y-Y… You w-would? Th-Th...” she let her eyes only graze over him briefly. “Th… That would be n-nice,”  those words brought Anastasia a sense of relief, she felt the weight of her loneliness lift from her back, the woman sighed with a soft smile and a nod of her head, "I think so too" she offered. 

But when she gave him another offer, an offer of aid with his magick she could feel the resistance “I… I d-don’t like using my p-powers,”  ears would rotate back slightly, "...I see" she muttered softly, allowing her eyes to lift. "Fire is dangerous" she admitted in agreement with him. The element would consume everything it touched, it was arguably the most dangerous out of the elements "...but it is not only destruction, it's also life" she could teach him to understand this side of it, if he'd let her. 

"speaking,"

Ignis

of

1 y/o small Male
© Lyca
Anastasia’s smile made him feel warm and… safe. He tried to remember the last time he felt that way and found himself, worryingly, drawing a blank. He’d never known the love of his mother or of his father, raised by wolves who thought him a burden, a curse brought on by his absent father. Those wolves became more vicious and unfriendly when his siblings met their unfortunate end. Perhaps things would be different, forming a companionship with a wolf who didn’t know his past. Perhaps it was better that way. 

If she knew… he doubted that the kind woman would be so eager to share company with a murderer. Ignis blinked again as Anastasia seemed to agree that fire was indeed dangerous, but also life. The boy looked confused. He tilted his head to the side in curiosity. “Wh-What do you m-m… mean?” he questioned tentatively, wondering what her response would be. The boy had never been told that his fire was life itself. He supposed that the fire within him provided life. He wouldn’t be breathing otherwise… Ignis still couldn’t wrap his head around how his spells were also life. The very spells that had taken his siblings' lives. It was hard to believe. 

"Ignis speaking,"

Anastasia

Advisor of Dei Gratia

9 y/o medium Female
© Centience
Anastasia Orelia

“Wh-What do you m-m… mean?” he seemed so...afraid, the hesitation lined his body and his tongue, Anastasia's audits would flicker back slightly, she felt for the boy. He lacked guidance so it seemed, was he never taught the truth behind his element? Was he only allowed to believe that it was the embodiment of destruction and death? Perhaps it perplexed him to see a woman so soft and kind harboring the same...destructive forces at the tips of her fingers. "Let me show you" she smiled warmly at the boy offering him a nod before adjusting herself slightly, allowing her eyes of soft pinks to fall shut so that she might be able to concentrate. Despite her being an outsider, over the last several months she'd become quite good with her element, she had embraced the new gifts.

Anastasia would begin breathing deeply, inhaling through her nose and exhaling through her mouth, she held this falling into a state of meditation and serenity. Allowing her muscles to relax she would begin to focus on the heat within her own body, pushing the temperature from her core up through her chest and down into her front right leg. The flames would barely begin to spark to life, before forming into a small rounded flame which danced and wrapped around the bottom portion of her leg much like a little wisp. Soft eyes would flutter open, lifting her paw to allow the small flame to hover and sit upon the top of her toes. It stayed there, breathing and dancing quietly. "Look how it breathes, Ignis. Like us" she began gently. She wanted him to really look at it, look at it without seeing how it destroyed life around him, but to see it for what it was when it held no ill intent. 

"It's like a little heartbeat — it is the warmth in our own bodies, the life of the sun. Without all of the elements, none of us would be here; fire is no exception" 

"speaking,"

Hosting by Kaons. Skin by Selkie. Banner by Nikkayla.