To the Finish Line [AW]

Bryker

Chieftain Breezai of Dei Gratia

8 y/o medium Male
Lynus, Male Uakari
© foxbox

Tan legs swiftly padded through the long grasses of the meadow. His ears were pushed high, scanning the area for sounds of prey. The meadows were known for their lean hares, and Bryker was keen to find one. He wanted to see who was faster- the hare or the wolf. A predatory grin slipped across his face, eager and excited. He was not intending to kill (he had just eaten recently), but if a second lunch presented itself he might not turn it down. 

A light breeze wafted the scents of green grass and scat. Intrigued, the wolf sauntered toward the strongest of the smells. His nose dropped to the ground, sniffing at the signs of a herd of deer that had been through here recently. Along with the droppings he noted their hoof tracks and nibbled grazes. He lifted his head and stared in the direction the deer had headed. Long tail flicked in a cat-like manner behind him. He hesitated. After a brief consideration, the male shrugged and turned away, retreating further into the tall, willowy grasses. He was not interested in deer today. 

The wolf prowled, keeping his head and shoulders low. He crept as quietly as he could. Humming brown grasshoppers leapt out of his way. Bryker snapped at one or two that jumped toward him, but the zipping insects evaded capture. 

Perhaps this did not bode well for him versus the lightning-quick hares he sought to race.  

"Speaking"

Table @ Centience

Arios

of

4 y/o large Non-conforming Y
© Lunicea
The maiden stretched into the sun, letting the warm rays sift through their pelt and groom the particles of light that swarmed them happily. With the dawn of the new day they had left Sylvain in the care of her uncle, kissing both of their forehead goodbye while they slept so Arios could fetch them a bit of breakfast. Both of them seemed to have a black hole in the place of their stomachs. 

While hunting was not the wolf's specialty it certainly was needed, with the three of them by themselves. It was at least better than Arios being on their own, raising Sylvain alone would have been quite the struggle, how their mother had done it... wait, mother. Arios's stride faltered, cream brows coming together in concentration as they tried to hold onto the thought, mother... mother. The simple image of a woman, clad in scars and heavily bound in muscle, with eyes kind and full of love, matching Arios's almost to a tee. The woman's laughter could shake the walls, filling the maiden's heart with a strange warmth. Though as quickly as the memory came, it was gone. Leaving Arios to stare at their own reflection in the water. It had been the most they were able to remember, how warm their mother's smile had been, how much joy she'd brought them. It made a ball swell in Arios's petite throat, one that she swallowed down and tried to ignore. Now was not the time to break, a hunt, a simple hunt to get their mind off things. 

They stood straight, head inclined to breath in the scents mixing in the open air until they picked out the thick aroma of rabbit, and easy prey and a decent breakfast. They crept low on the ground, silken fur barely brushing against the dirt as the smaller creature came into view. Arios began to run then, delicate maw parted to snap at the frantic being before them when their vision was suddenly invaded by a facade of grey fur. Arios gave out a yelp and tried to slow themselves but it proved futile when they felt their form crash into the other. Arios being the leaner of the two gave out a strangled sound and sprawled into the shrubbery, long limbs curling in on their form in embarrassment. 

"Oh!" They breathed, regaining composure they slowly lifted themself from the mess of flowers and greenery they had landed in, the vegetation mixing with the floral adornments that already found home in the maiden's curled fur. "I'm so sorry! Are you okay?" They asked, voice laced with concern as they offered a bashful smile, ignoring the soreness of their neck from the collision. Lowering themselves a little in an offer to help the man up if needed. 

"Speaking"

Art by redemptari @ DA. Table by Centience

Bryker

Chieftain Breezai of Dei Gratia

8 y/o medium Male
Lynus, Male Uakari
© foxbox

Suddenly, a hare burst through the grasses in front of him. Bryker immediately scampered after it, running through the grasses with hsi tongue out and joyful determination lighting his golden eyes. The wolf kept on the hares heels, swerving and darting this way and that way as it tried to escape. His long tail was extended, giving him balance much like a cheetah. But the hare was still quick! Bryker's eyes flashed in anger when it made a particularly tricky maneuver, and he lost ground. His paws dug into the ground and pushed off, but just as he was about to give chase again he suddenly collided with something furry and solid than knocked him to the ground in a tumble of limbs and a yelp of pain as he sprawled onto his back. 

Dazed, Bryker laid on the ground. His mind tried to process what happened and how badly he was injured when he heard an equally shocked voice spurt an apology, then a sudden face hovering above him asking if he was alright. 

The male blinked and slowly. "Ana?" he asked, confused. What was she doing here? His eyes squinted up at the face, sunlight beaming down around the edges of the wolf's portrait and casting shadows in a way that made this wolf look so similar to the woman in Dei Gratia. Slowly, the shock of the impact subsided. Bryker blinked a few more times and breathed in a deep breath, his brain catching up to him and realizing that this was definitely not Ana. "I... think I can get up on my own." he said cautiously as he tenderly rolled onto his stomach. He stretched a bit, testing his muscles. It was noted that he would definitely be bruised and sore for a few days from the unexpected crash with....  who? 

As Bryker slowly stood, he gazed at the pale stranger. "Sorry- I thought you were someone else." he said to the other. "And I apologize- I wasn't really looking where I was going. I didn't mean to run into you... Are you okay?" he asked apologetically, looking the stranger over for any serious harm that might have been done. 

"Speaking"

Table @ Centience

Hosting by Kaons. Skin by Selkie. Banner by Nikkayla.